I haven’t updated our ancient history happenings in awhile, but we are still plugging along! We are just finishing up the portion in Bible history where the nation of Israel is divided, prophets have been sent to deliver messages from God and we see kings making many unwise decisions. I will have to tell you, I’ve had a hard time finding FUN activities and hands on activities for this portion of history.
Do you have any fun, hands-on activities to go along with this period in history? If so, please share in the comments below!
So, I want so share a few of the things we have found in the hopes that this will help someone else out as well.
I’m going to include sort of an update on what we’ve covered (at least the highlights) since I last posted about our Ancient History Studies!
Oftentimes, if I could not find a fun activity online, I just told the kids to build a scene with their legos!! So, here you can see the scene that they built when we were learning about Joshua and the battle of Jericho!
Fun Learning Ideas
- Tabernacle Lesson – with printables
- Clothespin Catapults – in learning about the Assyrians and their contributions to society, we made these!
- Taking the Land of Canaan ~ Ticia has a lotof ancient history lessons on her blog! Here are all her Old Testament lessons.
- Nahum & Zephaniah ~ this post reminded me to get out Lincoln Logs for some of our history lessons!
- Genealogy lesson from Future Flying Saucers – why they are important (Scroll down to see ALL her OT lessons)
- Older kids: Read the book of Lamentations, underline each time the word “weeping” or “lamenting” is used (idea from Mystery of History, vol. 1)
- Ancient History Pinterest Board
Books & Videos
- Buck Denver Asks: What’s in the Bible? Volume Nine – God Speaks! (Isaiah, Jeremiah & the Prophets)
- God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
- The Book Of Ruth (this DVD is a little bit cheesy, but my kids and I loved it and I think it is very helpful for kids to see the story played out in a movie, makes it come to life for them!)
- Hittite Warrior (Living History Library) - we loved this historical fiction book
- Lamps, Scrolls & Goatskin Bottles (this book has provided a bit of independent reading for my girls and LOTS of hands on activities pertaining to Bible times – crafts like scrolls, mud brick houses, simple games, etc.)
- Jericho: The Promise Fulfilled (I’m hoping to review this one soon on my blog, a comical retelling of the battle at Jericho.)
- Devotions from Exodus (read my review here)
- Draw and Write Through History (Creation through Jonah, Volume 1)
Ancient History links to explore:
- Curriculum Choices for 2013/2014 year
- My initial thoughts on Winter Promise Quest for the Ancient World
- Ancient History pinterest board
- Play List of videos to go along with Mystery of History Volume 1
- Weeks 1 & 2 highlights
- Weeks 3 & 4 highlights
- Ultimate List of FUN Egypt Learning Ideas
- More Egyptian FUN
Our next stop in Ancient History is Ancient Greece and the Olympics! We will be learning all about the winter olympics and ancient greece through the month of January! See what fun things we have planned!