we were blessed to have a civil war reenactment come to our area!
It was over 100 degrees that day...but I still wanted to go!! :)
We met Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, Sherman...
and go to see a few battle scenes.
We made hard-tack using this recipe!!
In case you aren't familiar, hard tack is just flour, salt and water. Yum.
We took it to our co-op meeting...
would you believe a few of the kids actually ate it?!!? ha!
Books We Read
- Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
- Abraham Lincoln
- A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln
- Civil War On Sunday
- If You Lived At The Time Of The Civil War
- Billy and the Rebel: Based on a True Civil War Story
- Civil War (A Library of Congress Book)
- You Wouldn't Want to Be a Nurse During the American Civil War!: A Job That's Not for the Squeamish
- Shades of Gray
- Abraham Lincoln: The Great Emancipator (Childhood of Famous Americans)
- Robert E. Lee: Young Confederate (Childhood of Famous Americans)
- Jim Weiss ~ Abraham Lincoln and the Heart of America
- Great Stories (Your Story Hour, Volume 3) - Robert E. Lee story
- We watched several of the Brain Pop videos during our little co-op one week. (One of our moms got the free trial so we could view some of these applicable videos.)
- The Civil War (Commemorative Edition) (we viewed a little of this from the library)
- Liberty's Kids: Complete Series
- Abraham Lincoln (Getting To Know The U.S. Presidents)
located at Lincoln Memorial University
American History Pinterest Board - not all of these are civil war, but here is my collection of ideas from around the web that we are using in our american history studies!
We actually have a few more weeks left of our Civil War study...so if we do anything else fun I will probably come back and add it to this post. :)